Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Semi-Finals Group 1

Tonight the contestants were to choose a Top 10 song from the Billboard Hot 100 list from any year. So basically they could sing any song imaginable and for the most part they chose the wrong song. I was happy to see Paula back making her memerable slured comments, you gotta love live TV. Overall I was not too excited with the 12 performances tonight. I don't know if it was just nerves or bad song choices but no one really brought down the house. Here is a brief recap of the first 12 contestants.
  • Jackie Tohn - “A Little Less Conversation” by Elvis Presley - Ok voice but I couldn't concentrate on anything with her jumping all around the stage in her spandex pants from the 80's.
  • Ricky Braddy - “A Song For You” - by Leon Russell - Good voice, where have they been hiding him?
  • Alexis Grace - “Never Loved a Man” by Aretha Franklin - Probably the best overall girl performance but still missing something.
  • Brent Keith - “Hicktown” by Jason Aldean - He was too Country Night at the local Karaoke Bar for me.
  • Stevie Wright - “You Belong to Me” by Taylor Swift - Wrong song choice and vocals were completely off. I just wanted it to end for her sake.
  • Anoop Desai - “Angel of Mine” by Monica - Good vocals but a little disappointed at his overall performance, kind of boring.
  • Casey Carlson - “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic” by the Police - Bad song choice and she didn't look comfortable singing it.
  • Michael Sarver - “I Don’t Wanna Be” by Gavin DeGraw - What a weird song choice for him, another performance that made me uncomfortable.
  • Anne Marie Boskovich - “Natural Woman” by Aretha Franklin - I don't know what people are thinking when they pick such iconic songs. Not good at all.
  • Stephen Fowler - “Rock With You” by Michael Jackson - Another bad song choice, very few can pull off Michael Jackson. Any 2nd chance he was given he threw away tonight.
  • Tatiana Del Toro - “Saving All My Love For You” by Whitney Houston - What's going on and where is the crazy Tata that we love to hate? I think she has been invaded by the Body Snatchers. By NOT being her crazy self it made her seem even MORE crazy. She was surprisingly good tonight. I can't beleive I'm saying that.
  • Danny Gokey - “Hero” by Mariah Carey - He delivered a good all around performance as expected.
If you would like to see videos of tonights performances please visit MJ'sBigBlog. We will find out Live tomorrow night who will advance to the Final 12 and finally hear if Kai will be in Group 2 or 3.

No comments: